1914 – 1924
- – Founded August, 1914
- – Joined Garden Club of America, June 1915
- – Held first Flower Show open to public at the East Hampton Library
- – Improved the appearance of the Railroad Station
- – Distributed leaflets on “Duties of Women in War Time” during WW I
1925 – 1934
- Undertook civic planting at the Library, Mulford Farm and local schools
- Made efforts to save historic willow and pepperidge trees
- Fought billboards in the Village of East Hampton
- Mrs. Ruger Donoho donated eight acres to begin the Village’s Nature Trail in 1934.
- Mrs. Lorenzo Woodhouse loaned an 10 additional acres contiguous to the Nature Trail.
1935 – 1944
- Mrs. Woodhouse loaned more land to GCEH for the Nature Trail.
- For 8 years starting in 1934, Club members worked, laying out paths, planting wildflowers, clearing debris and labeling trees and shrubs. Finally, in 1942, we opened the Nature Trail to the public.
- Contributed to GCA’s “Gardens on Parade” at the 1938 World’s Fair.
- Organized Victory Gardens during WW II and worked with the Red Cross.
- Ran house tours for war relief and decorated servicemen’s clubs.
- Led Village vote to use tax money to replant trees lost in 1938 hurricane.
- Fought the establishment of gas stations on Main Street.
1945 – 1954
- Joined with other local Garden Clubs to landscape a Veterans Hospital.
- Won 1st prize for “Horticultural Interest” at the International Flower Show.
- Became concerned with ragweed elimination and topsoil conservation.
- GCEH owned and managed the Nature Trail from its opening in 1942 until 1951, when the Village assumed ownership of the property with GCEH acting as a consultant to the Village Board in its management. In subsequent years a joint committee was formed to oversee the Nature Trail that included the LVIS, the Eastern Gate Garden Club and a Parks Commission.
- Decorated many historic sites for 300th Anniversary of East Hampton Town.
1955 – 1964
- Sponsored Children’s Flower Show with Eastern Gate Garden Club
- Planted shrubs around the new Children’s Wing of the Library
- Held an open conservation meeting for Village officials and others
1965 – 1974
- Worked with the LVIS to save the Reutershan Parking Lot trees
- Added oxygenating plants and improved drainage at the Nature Trail
- Amended our Constitution and became a tax exempt organization
- Held first spring Garden Mart to benefit the East Hampton Library by raising money to support lawn and landscape care on the Library grounds
- Promoted awareness of environmental problems: pollution, land sub-division, offshore drilling and
depleted ozone in the atmosphere